Sunday, April 1, 2012

Beer is awesome! | Corona (cup)cake


Something you guys might know about me is that I never was a big lover of beer.
I always loved wine in all varieties,
I loved tea and coffee
I loved bubbles and  coctails.

But until recently I simply didn't like the taste of beer.

{yes.
I'm from Belgium.
No.
I'm not ashamed to admit this stuff.}

Then, something changed: 

I made a list with challenges I set for myself in this upcoming year. One of those challenges is to drink 13 different kinds of beer
{In the course of  a full year, mother. Not on one night, Jeez louise!}

So this is what happened:

Beer 1: Yuk. Gross.
Beer 2: Err. Yeah. Whatev'
Beer 3: This one is actually not that bad.
Beer 4: Such a rich and very complex aroma...
Beer 5: Beer = good!

And this is what happened next:

Corona cupcake



Corona (cup)cakes
recipe adapted from spoonforkbacon
yields about 12 cupcakes or 1 big cake.

Corona cake

100 g unsalted butter, softened [1/2 cup]
270 g granulated sugar [1 1/4 cup]
250 g all purpose flour [1 2/3 cup]
2 t baking powder
1/4 t* salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 lime, zested (plus more for garnish)
160 ml Corona [2/3 cup]
2 T* milk

optional: green coloring

one: preheat oven to 375 °F/ 190 °C and line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners OR butter the cake form.
two: in a medium-sized bowl; whisk together the  flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
three: cream the butter with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Rub the lime zest into the granulated sugar and add to the butter. Cream together {yes, with the mixer} for another 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
four: add eggs one at a time; beating after each addition.
five: in a mixing bowl whisk together beer and milk. Now; alternatively add beer mixture and flour mixture to butter mixture until fully incorporated. Make sure you begin and end with the dry mixture.
six: fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. OR fill the cake form 2/3 full and bake for 50 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
seven: allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack.



Lime cream cheese frosting



250 g philadelpia, softened [8 ounces]
100 g unsalted butter, softened 1/2 cup
800 g powdered sugar, sifted [ ~ 4 cups]
2 T* freshly squeezed lime juice 
2 t* lime zest


one: cream together the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. About 2 minutes.
two: slowly add powdered sugar, juice and zest until well-combined.
three: pipe frosting onto cupcakes once cooled {or spread with a spatula if you can't find your frosting bag; like me}. Top with a thin, fresh slice of lime.






Enjoy!
* t = teaspoon.
T = tablespoon
 


10 comments:

TinaRBK said...

Very unusual, but I will need to try this. The recipes I have of baked goods with beer have turned out wonderfully and I am sure this will be the same. Glad you posted this one-thanks!

Eva {not your mama's dinner} said...

Thank you, Tina! this is, ofcourse a completely different kind of beer than most recipes ask for so it does have a very different taste too. But I really like it, it tastes like spring, fresh grass under my feet and gardenparties... I hope you enjoy it too... :)

Anonymous said...

I made the cupcake version of this for a party and everyone fell in love with them! Thanks for the great recipe!

Eva {not your mama's dinner} said...

Oh, Anonymous! I'm soooo glad you and your friends liked them. Thank YOU for coming back and saying these kind words! They totally just bright up this rainy day.

sally @ sallys baking addiction said...

i sorta think you made these cupcakes just for me :) Corona is my FAVORITE beer and that lime cream cheese frosting? Oh man! I could bathe in that stuff. Looks awesome :)

Eva {not your mama's dinner} said...

Thank you, Sally! Bathing in frosting is like the best idea ever! I think it would be a great cure for a dry skin. :)

Anonymous said...

hello there....The recipe seems interesting. Planning to try it this weekend... thanks for posting it up...i have tried making stout choc cake and it was a hit among my frends!! so i believe this one will be too... :) :)

Eva {not your mama's dinner} said...

I hope you liked the recipe and your friends weren't dissapointed! :)

jlam said...

great recipe, i used lemon zest and lemon juice instead - tasted great!

Anonymous said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. cupcakes in los angeles

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright

(c) Notyourmamasdinner